In some european countries beekeeping associations take care every year and publish suggested prices for honey. Reason for that behavior is to keep high value of honey. And beekeeping associations are only one who can be objective about that.
We did prepare some current prices of honey for this year so you can get a real picture of status of honey from country to country.
Current (retail) prices in € of honey for year 2013
|Type of honey||Slovenia (for 900 g)||Serbia (for 900 g)||Switzerland (for 1kg)||Austria (for 1kg)||Germany (for 1kg)||Czech (for 900 g)|
|flower honey ||6-7,5||5,5-12||/||7,5-8||7-10||5-7|
|acacia honey ||6-8,5||5-6||/||7,5-8||7-10||5-7|
|forest honey ||7,5-9||/||12-14||7,5-14||9-12||6-9|
What affect on prices of honey?
Prices of honey depend from market value (amount of honey on market) and cost that are involved by beekeeping (sugar, gas, varroa tretmant …).
How to sell honey with high price?
1. First step is making your own brand / logo with nice packing. I think you agree if I say it’s the same with girls. Men prefer to see a well dressed girl instead of a girl in casual day clothes.
2. Next thing is producing quality honey. Try not to put harmful stuff for controlling parasite varroa destructor because it can reflect in honey quality. And if it`s possible don’t mix different type of honey.
3. Instead of reducing the basic price of honey give your regular customer something for free here and there. They will appreciate practical gift more than price discount.
4. Call your regular customers (here and there) and ask them how they like your honey, that way you can get feedback and get to know them better so you can improve your work.
5. Explain your customers how much passion and work is needed to get honey from bees, you have to be biologists, chemist, salesman … If you have a chance take a tour around hives with them.