Top 11 Organizations and Initiatives Helping to Save Bees
Today we’re all wondering what’s wrong with the bees. We cannot imagine a World without pollinators who are responsible for more then 30 percent of the world’s food.
With the decline of bee population, we got many organizations and initiatives who want to help by drawing attention to the negative side of the use of pesticides and insecticides.
List of Organizations and Initiatives
Anyway, we highlighted top 11 Organizations and Initiatives that are trying to raise awareness about the importance of bees as pollinators. The Inspiration for this list came from organization Food Tank.
- Avaaz (global web movement launched in 2007) – they said that a global ban of one group of (neonicotinoid) pesticides could save bees from extinction. Their campaign is in 15 languages which has around 2,5 million signatures.
- Save the Bees – is a European Greenpeace project. They said the risk for agriculture in Europe are the Bees in Decline. The solution is in changing the current destructive chemical-intensive agricultural system into an ecological farming system. Their campaign has around 450.000 signatures.
- Help Save Bees – is dedicated project to help raise general awareness about the plight of native British Bees. On their website you can check 10 things you can do to save bees.
- The Bee Couse – Since April 2012, Friends of the Earth’s The Bee Cause campaign has been challenging the UK Government to tackle bee decline.
- Save the honey bees – is PAN (Pesticide Action Network Europe) project. Saying that since the early ’90s pesticides are the main reason for honey bee decline. Their global solution is a world in which high agricultural productivity is achieved by truly sustainable agricultural production systems.
- Vanishing of the Bees – is an Educational DVD documentary, very informative about CCD (colony collapse disorder) and the business of beekeeping in general. The DVD includes both the 34 minute version of the film suitable for classroom viewing and as well as the feature length version with a running time of 87 minutes.
- Friends of honeybees – are individuals and groups around the world with one mission to protect and preserve the well-being of honey bee populations, to ensure local and global food security.
- Save the Bees: Save the Planet – is WSBF (World Save Bee Fund) foundation established in Germany in 2009 with the aim to prevent the mass death of bees and to preserve the global ecological balance of nature. WSBF draws public attention to the problem of bees’ disappearance and natural disbalance as a result.
- Wild for Bees – is a pollination awareness project from company Burt`s Bees. From profit of company they fund sustainable beekeeping efforts through the Burt’s Bees Greater Good Foundation and in UK through BBKA (British Beekeepers Association) organization.
- Urbanbees – is 5-year biodiversity program established in France, which aims to study biodiversity of wild bees in several habitats and to conserve and enhance the biodiversity of wild bees in Urban habitats in Europe.
- Be or not to be? – are initiatives of a group of bee researchers leading by CETAPIS (Apiculture and Meliponiculture Center of Rio Grande do Norte state in Brazil). By now, this petition has reached already 13.000 signatures and there settle the problem of the disappearing bee in all principle media in Brazil. In parallel with this petition, they launched Bee Alert, an app developed to show places and the intensity of bee losses.
Do you miss some other organization and do you think should be on this list? Send it to us to our email: email@example.com.
Tragedy at sunflowers field in Hungary
Source: foodtank.com, urbanbees.eu, avaaz.org, sos-bees.org, foe.co.uk, helpsavebees.co.uk, savehoneybees.info, vanishingbees.com, friendsofhoneybees.net, save-bee.com and burtsbees.co.uk.