Tragedy at Apiary: Beekeeper died after bee sting him in artery in his neck

0
Don't be shellfish, share...Share on Google+2Share on Facebook105Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Tumblr0Share on StumbleUpon0Digg thisEmail this to someonePrint this page

Beekeeper Marko Bulic died on April 10 at the apiary in Croatia after fatal bee sting into an artery in the neck. The tragedy occurred when he reviewed bee hives with a friend Zlatko Elveđijem, president of the Beekeepers Association “Dalmatinka” from Zadar.

Zlato said “Mark and I we were on Thursday at my beehive house, he had besides my bees also three of his hives. It was one common beekeeping business day, until Marko has said that he felt the sting over the protective hat and shortly afterwards said that he was not well and had breathing difficulties, I immediately call ambulance. But in just five minutes Marko could not even stand or sit, he lay with discolored skin, bruised and swollen, and I was immediately tried to give him CPR until the arrival of the ambulance, but he could not be saved“.

Although the two teams of ambulance arrived in record time (less than 10 minutes), and despite CPR attempts, Marko Bulic died on the way to Zadar hospital.

Doctors said the cause of death is anaphylaxis due to bee sting.

bee-sting-tragedy

How did it happen anaphylactic reactions to a beekeeper that was in the last year exposed to many bee stings?

Marko Bulic started with beekeeping last year and until the fateful day he received dozens of bee stings all over his body.

However, how will anyone know if he is allergic to bee venom, in Croatia beekeeping association asked primarius mr. Sc. Josip Loncar, a physician with extensive experience in Apitherapy.

For example, patients who come to me for Apitherapy treatments, are required to pass the test that lasts for few weeks in order to have the confidence to get bee venom“, said the doctor Loncar and explained that in the unfortunate event of death beekeeper Marko Bulić (which has already been stung many times) was a fatal stab to the neck because that way bee venom directly (intravenous) applied to the artery, which is probably a combination with other circumstances – such as a weakened immune system. All that lead to hypotension, bronchospasm… and ultimately the beekeeper died from the effects of anaphylactic shock.

Looks like we will not be able to practice beekeeping without Suprarenin (adrenaline). Therefore, all beekeepers should be educated about first help at the apiary and always have at hand a shot of adrenaline,concluded prim. mr. Sc. Josip Loncar.

What is anaphylaxis?

Anaphylaxis (the term comes from the Greek word ἀνά ana, against, and φύλαξις prophylaxis, protection) is a serious allergic reaction that begins suddenly and can be fatal. Usually is accompanied by a range of symptoms including itching, trouble swelling and low blood pressure. Common causes for anaphylaxis include insect bites, food products and pharmaceuticals drugs.

Anaphylactic reactions occur because of the release of proteins from certain types of white blood cells. Their release could be caused by the reaction of the immune system, or some other cause unrelated to the immune system. The therapy of first choice is an injection of adrenaline, which are sometimes given in combination with other drugs.

In the world about 0,05 to 2 percent of people experience anaphylaxis at some point of their lives.

Source: www.pcela.hr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1731

Don't be shellfish, share...Share on Google+2Share on Facebook105Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Tumblr0Share on StumbleUpon0Digg thisEmail this to someonePrint this page

About Author

Comments are closed.