Royal Jelly Benefits
Regardless if you are a beekeeper or just a potential user of Royal jelly here you can get interesting information about it.
But before we explain all Royal jelly benefits we have to look in what Royal jelly is and how is made. In first place Royal jelly is the super food for bee brood and queen rearing. Produced in the hypopharyngeal (pharyngeal) glands, which lie in the bee head right next to the brain. Produced by young bees, aged 6 to 14 days. These bees feed other bee brood just the first few days of their life, but later only the queen gets this food to enjoy all the time.
Properties of royal jelly
• It is a whitish, thick, slightly sour taste, but with a very special flavor.
• Exposed to the air eventually turns brown.
• Due to the protein content gets quick perishes.
The composition of royal jelly
• 60 – 70 % water.
• 10 – 18 % proteins (albumin, a, bg globulins, glycoproteins, lipoproteins, 23 amino acids).
• 9 – 15 % sugars (glucose, fructose, insignificant amounts of ribose, maltose, isomaltose, gentiobloze, turanoze, trehalose, neotrehaloze).
• Lipids 1,5 – 7 % (phenols, sterols I glycerol, wax, neutral fats, phospholipids, free of organic acids).
• Minerals 0,7 – 1,5 %.
• Enzymes (amylase, invertase, catalase, acid phosphatase, etc..).
• Neurotransmitters (acetylcholine and choline).
• Sex hormones (estradiol, testosterone, progesterone).
• Contains a lot of vitamin C, vitamins of the B complex, vitamin D and a vitamin E.
• It also contains much of 10-hydroxy decanoic acid, which inhibits the development of many bacteria and mold.
Royal jelly benefits
On the human organism has the following effects:
• Improve the general well-being,
• Improves brain function,
• Increased appetite,
• Controls the endocrine function,
• Alleviates age and disease problems.
• Its usefulness is demonstrated also by natural cosmetics, which would inhibit the aging of the skin.
Off course this Royal jelly benefits vary among humans (athletes, the elderly, pregnant women, children …). Because of almost the ideal relationship between the components of in Royal jelly, is considered one of the most perfect (super) foods.
Royal jelly side effects
Like every food also royal jelly can cause in certain cases side effects. If you use it as a health cure for few months there should not be any side effects. In some cases of long turn use people reported that can cause serious allergic reactions.
To avoid any kind of side effect you should use fresh and organic produced Royal jelly and if you have any kind of disease before consuming it you should consult with your doctor.
Production and type of royal jelly
A hive with bees in great shape during a season of 5–6 months can produce approximately 500 g of royal jelly.
General requirements for the acquisition of royal jelly:
• At the time of the acquisition chemical agents for the eradication of parasites and pests are forbidden.
• Removal of larvae and taking spurge in good light, but picked jelly should not be exposed to direct sunlight.
• Spoon the withdrawal of spurge should be wooden or plastic. Metal spoon reacts with components from royal jelly.
• Royal jelly can also be vacuumed with a glass suction.
For a better interpretation check the video below how small production or royal Jelly is carrying out:
Type of royal jelly
It can be produced and packed in a liquid state or as a tablet in powder form which can be preserved for longer time. Lyophilized (freeze-dried) form of royal jelly preserves all the natural active ingredients. If you want to know how companies produce powder from a liquid state check video about Freez dried procedure below.
Storage of royal jelly
• Always has to be kept in the dark place, so store it in the dark jars.
• Fresh royal jelly is stored in a cool place, but it can be frozen or kept in a controlled atmosphere.
• It can be refrigerated up to six months.
• The storage time in the freezer is from one year to three years. This time depends on the temperature in the freezer.
• Thawed royal jelly should not be refrozen!
• Fluctuations in temperature should be minimal.
• When filling Royal jelly in jars, there should be filled cups as much as possible – no empty air space.
• Use clean and undamaged materials that do not react with royal jelly.
• During the transport to the refrigerator or freezer use any type of cooler.
• The most simple is the preservation with honey. Jelly can be mixed with the crystallized honey. If you are going to use liquid Honey the jelly (after some time) floats to the surface, which is not good.
How to use royal jelly
Take in the morning on an empty stomach, royal jelly should be put under the tongue and keep it in the mouth as long as possible. This will ensure the best absorption into the body, and after a period of regular use you will discover why Royal Jelly is Super food. The recommended daily dose is 1 g. Usually 1 small spoon that is included in a packet when you buy it. You can find also interesting information about the taste in article – What does Royal Jelly taste like?
Royal jelly price depends how good quality is and where do you buy it. The cheapest one is from China… there you can get it in liquid state, 1 kg (35,2 oz) for around 73 € (100 $), in Europe, there is a market price around 50 (68 $) € for 60 g (2,1 oz).
Where to buy it
Due to slow and non economical aspect of royal jelly production for small beekeepers you will probably get it faster by bigger beekeepers and stores that has dietary supplements. The best way to find out where can you buy it is to ask local beekeepers for advice. Before you buy fresh jelly don`t forget to check important requirements that we wrote about it (dark jar, cool storage…).
Do you already have experience with effects of consuming royal jelly? Share it with us and write a comment to this article 🙂
Source: www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-503-royal%20jelly.aspx?activeingredientid=503&activeingredientname=royal%20jelly, czs.si and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_jelly